Meet the Performers: Introducing a Few of the Members of Me2/strings!
Jane Bearden, violin; Concertmaster
• Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in violin performance from the Manhattan School of Music
• First violinist, Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra, for four years
• Has appeared as soloist with the Malaysian Philharmonic Chamber Players, Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra, National Repertory Orchestra, Lake Superior Chamber Orchestra, and Burlington Chamber Orchestra
• Currently resides in Montreal
Jennifer Turbes, viola
• Bachelor’s degree from St. Olaf College
• Master’s and Doctoral degrees from the Eastman School of Music
• Has performed with the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra, Duluth-Superior Symphony Orchestra, Aspen Music Festival and School, and the Lake Superior Chamber Orchestra
• Relocated to White River Junction, VT, this summer to accept a teaching position with the Upper Valley Music Center
Muriel Kerr, cello (no photo available)
• Bachelor of Music, Mannes College of Music
• Master of Music, Northwestern University (Merit Scholar)
• Cellist, Civic Orchestra of Chicago (2006-2008)
• Has performed in venues including Merkin Hall, Steinway Hall Gallery, Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, CBGB’s, Symphony Space, MiddleEast Downstairs (Boston), Uncommon Ground (Chicago)
• Resides in Elizabethtown, NY
Irene Fitzgerald-Cherry, violin (no photo available)
• Bachelor of Music in Violin Performance and Linguistics, New York University Steinhardt School of Education
• Master of Fine Arts in Orchestral Performance, Göteborgs Universitet Högskolan för scen och musik Swedish National Orchestra Academy
• Has played with the Swedish National Orchestra Academy, Göteborgs Symfoniker, and Hubbard Hall Opera Theatre Orchestra
• Growing up, she served as Concertmaster with the Empire State Youth Orchestra and the Saratoga Springs Youth Orchestra
• Currently resides in Cambridge, NY
Kay Rooney-Matthews, violin
• Bachelor’s Degree from the University of North Carolina School of the Arts; Performance Diploma and Master’s Degree from Boston University
• Concertmaster of the Parkway Concert Orchestra in Norwood, MA
• Performs with several ensembles in Boston and the New England area, including Marsh Chapel Collegium, New Bedford Symphony, Gordon Symphony Orchestra, and Atlantic Strings
• Teaches at MusicalArts in Exeter, NH and the Chung Wah Academy of Music in Boston, and has private studios in Billerica, Dartmouth, and Boston
• Currently resides in Boston, MA
Shaw Pong Liu, violin
• A native Californian, she is a graduate of U.C. Berkley with a Master’s Degree from the New England Conservatory• Performs amplified and looped violin with young poets in the urban hip-hop slam poetry production, “ARTiculation” and regularly appears as guest soloist with MIT’s Ensemble Robot and Gamelan GalakTika.
• Classical performances include Bang-on-a-Can All-Stars and the Boston Modern Orchestra Project.
• Her current project, A Bird a Day, is a daily creative exploration of dawns, birds, and music.
• Currently resides in Boston, MA. Learn more by visiting www.shawpong.com.
The entire orchestra for our May 11, 2013 performance is listed below:
Jane Bearden, Concertmaster
Etleva Hima-Buli, Principal Second
Shaw Pong Liu
Laura Manko, Principal
Elinor Frey, Principal